Porta Caeli Ament Bordeaux Blend 2013

Porta Caeli is one of my favorite new wineries here in Turkey and its Ament Bordeaux is as hefty as the bottle is. But more on that later.

Porta Caeli is a relatively new winery. Based in Eceabat on the Gallipoli peninsula, it has only recently released its first vintage (2013). The idea for Porta Caeli came from a wine loving family. Knowing that Turkey is capable of producing wines to rival those from anywhere in the world they established their winery in 2002. After traveling across Turkey and testing soils in various regions they settled in Ecebat where they have 170 hectares.

They implement Good Agricultural Practices and GLOBALGAP procedures in their vineyards where 80% of their grapes are red. Cabernet Sauvignon leads the charge with smaller parcels 0f Merlot, Cabernet Franc, and Petit Verdot. The remaining 20% is dedicated to white varieties Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, and Viognier.

Ament Bordeaux

If you’re noticing a lack of native varietals you’re not wrong. Their goal at Porta Caeli is to make Bordeaux-style wines that rival not the sea of Bordeaux blends made in Turkey, but those in France. With assistance from flying winemaker Michele Roland this goal may not be as laughable as many who don’t know Turkish wine think. 

Grapes are hand harvested before being processed through the winery’s gravity-fed system.  A system that includes, incredibly, both steel and large wood tanks for maceration. Wines are aged for a minimum of 18 months in oak before their release. Currently Porta Caeli produces wine under four labels: Ament (red), Pacem (white), Felici (rose), and Porta Diverti (red and white). I’ve had just about all of them now and will go back for more. Even of the rose. I know. The world is ending.

If that’s not a large enough goal, Porta Caeli also offers onsite luxury. The onsite hotel is stunning. I kind of want to live there. With a spa and restaurant there really would be no reason to leave. Porta Caeli will also be premiering a line of gourmet products made from produce grown onsite.

Ament Bordeaux

Porta Caeli Ament Bordeaux Blend 2013 Tasting Notes:

I mentioned earlier that the wine is as hefty as the bottle. At 14.5% abv the Porta Caeli Ament Bordeaux blend packs a serious punch. But the bottle? I don’t think I’ve ever held a (standard-size) bottle that heavy before. When it’s empty it still feels full.

The Ament is a classic Bordeaux blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Merlot, and Petit Verdot.  The color is a deep, dark mystery but if color has an aroma then this smells the way it looks. The aromas burst into the air as I poured the wine. Intense purple/black fruits, fig, tobacco, cedar, and baking spices with a hint of wood smoke curling through the nose. Big, full body with supple tannins and finish that didn’t finish. Sticky, dark fruits and slightly sweet on the attack with lingering dark chocolate. Beautiful.

I am absolutely Porta Caeli’s wines so look out for future posts about the rest of their collection!

Leave a Reply